Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Illustration Project 2: Musical/Stage Performance Tour Design

The assignment is to design a poster and a t-shirt for a band or performer of any sort, so I chose my favorite band that currently tours now: Medeski, Martin & Wood. I decided to design specifically for the actual tour they're carrying out right now, the Radiolarian Series, which is basically an experimental series of three tours out of which three albums will be created (1 album per leg of the tour). They are pretty much just busting out improv jams with very little planning and there seems to be an emphasis on acoustic instrumentals based off of the show I saw of theirs from the first leg of the Radiolarian series.

Anywho, my idea for this first design is to portray the band in "Radiolarian" attire. Radiolarians are aqueous micro-species which have amazingly intricate structures. While looking at them, I began to see crowns and septers and other various things which they might be morphed into, but mostly crowns stood out to me..thus, for my first draft I want to portray Medeski, Martin & Wood as underwater Radiolarian kings which gesture you into their realm of being. When I draw this one again, I want to render their clothing quite differently and have them floating perhaps...not digging the midieval drabs I threw on them in this one. Of course, when I produce my final draft, their faces will sure change and become more true to their actual faces.

Any commentary or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: